Job Title: Custodian
Location: South Orange Family YMCA
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Branch Executive Director
Under the general direction of the Buildings & Grounds Director, this position is accountable for maintaining the cleanliness, sanitary conditions and general maintenance of the facility, both inside and outside. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values at the South Orange Family YMCA are conveyed.
• Clean bathrooms, offices, locker rooms, hallways and any other assigned areas by vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing and polishing.
• Perform minor maintenance repairs and tasks as directed.
• Assist with other departments with set up for meetings, special events, etc
• Strip and polish floor, cleans carpets and other restorative cleaning activities.
• Empty and clean trash containers.
• Moves, rearranges and dusts furniture and fixtures.
• Clear snow and salt sidewalks in inclement weather or as needed.
• Report any damage or needed repairs to equipment, property, etc. to supervisor.
• Use all cleaning supplies in the proper and efficient manner.
• Keep all cleaning closets clean and uncluttered during his/her scheduled shift.
• Interact with staff, members, and general public in a professional and courteous manner.
• Contribute to membership retention by maintaining a high standard of facility cleanliness.
• Assist in special projects at the branch or other Association facilities.
• During shutdown periods, must be available to work if needed.
• Attend all required training, meetings and events.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Be at least 18 years of age. High school diploma or GED preferred.
• Possess good interpersonal, communication, and organization skills.
• Ability to work as a team and independently.
• Experience of general cleaning, disinfection, hard floor care, carpet care, wood floor care and related equipment operation and maintenance
• Ability to remain standing and moving for extended periods of time.
• Work indoors and outdoors in normal environment with some exposure to noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes.
• Mobility within the building including movement from floor to floor and outside the building.
• Ability to lift up to 50lbs. on a repetitive basis.
• May handle human body fluids and chemicals as part of the daily operational duties.