Group Swim Lessons
Our Y recognizes that swimming is an important life skill for anyone at any age. Participating in swimming lessons at the Y builds self-confidence, gives both kids and adults the opportunity to have fun discovering what they can achieve, and incorporates water safety skills that one day could save a life. The Y offers classes for everyone and our trained instructors do their best to make sure everyone feels safe and successful in our program. The appropriate swimming group is chosen based on age and ability.
Parent & Child Swimming Lessons (Ages 6 months - 3 years)
It's important for parents to form reasonable and healthy expectations for their infant/toddler when it comes to swimming and water safety. At the Y, we use songs, games and activities to increase the level of trust between parents and their children in the water, creating a positive experience, while introducing basic aquatic safety precautions to both parent and child. Classes meet once a week for 30 minutes. (Ratio: 1 Instructor to 10 Infant/Child Pairs)
Preschool Swimming Lessons (Ages 3 years - 5 years)
In the Y's preschool aquatics program, children develop fundamental swimming skills that set the foundation for swimming to become a lifelong activity. Our progressive swimming program includes 4 levels of instruction using age appropriate activities to teach swimming and water safety skills. Classes meet once a week for 30 minutes. (Ratio: 1 Instructor to 5 Children)
- Pike - Beginner: Non-swimmer
- Eel - Advanced beginner: Non-swimmer, comfortably submerges face under water
- Ray - Intermediate: Comfortable in the water, almost swims independently
- Starfish - Advanced: Swims independently
Youth Swimming Lessons (Ages 6 years - 12 years)
Through a progression of 6 swimming levels, children develop the skills they need to become safe, strong, and proficient in the water. Classes meet once a week for 45 minutes. (Polliwog - Minnow Ratio: 1 Instructor to 8 Children / Fish-Shark Ratio: 1 Instructor to 10 Children)
- Polliwog - Beginner: Non-swimmer
- Guppy - Advanced beginner: Comfortable in the water & cabable of swimming 20 feet
- Minnow - Intermediate: Swims independently, learning front & back crawl
- Fish - Advanced #1: Able to swim 20 yards front crawl & back crawl, learning elementary backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly
- Flying Fish - Advanced #2: Refining all strokes & building endurance
- Shark - Advanced #3: Proficient at all strokes, building endurance and learning turns
Teen & Adult Swimming Lessons (Ages 13 years & Older)
It’s never too late to learn. Lessons are available for every ability level, from the non-swimmer who is terrified of the water to the lap swimmer just looking to improve their strokes. Classes meet once a week for 45 minutes. (Ratio: 2 Instructors to 10 Adults)
Click here to view the upcoming or current program session and to learn how to register.
Private Swim Lessons
Looking for a more intense and individualized swimming lesson?
Private Lessons - Work one-on-one with one of our swimming instructors and schedule sessions around a more flexible schedule (30 minutes).
Semi Private Lessons - Its more fun to learn with a friend. Semi private lessons can be arranged for two swimmers of the same swimming ability.
Both private & semi private lessons can be arranged for either 30 minutes or 1 hour, however, the 1 hour lessons are only recommended for the more advanced swimmers looking to build endurance and focus on technique.
Family Swim is a recreational swim time where families enjoy quality time playing together in our pool. Swim bubbles, noodles and pool toys are available. For safety reasons, inflatable floats and rafts are not permitted in our pool. Please view our pool schedule at the top of this page for the current Family Swim Schedule.
Family Swim Rules:
- All children age 7 and younger must be accompanied in the water by an adult.
- Children ages ages 8-12 who can not swim independently must be accompanied in the water by an adult.
- Children ages 8-12 who can swim independently must have an adult present on the pool deck at all times.
- Non-swimmers of any age are not permitted in the deep end of the pool unless wearing a lifejacket/bubble and accompanied by an adult.
- Swimmers will be evaluated by a lifeguard before being permitted to swim in water deeper than their own chest level.
View the current pool schedule using our Quick Links